Follow these simple instructions for cooking the perfect medium rare ribeye steak or tenderloin steak and you should be on your way to cooking the best steak in Hong Kong!
1. Purchase your USDA Ribeye Steak or USDA Tenderloin steak from our store.
2. Remove from the vacuum package and rest on a plate at room temperature for 1 – 2 hours before cooking. It is important that the steak is not cooked straight out of the fridge otherwise it may be tough.
3. Season well with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Don’t be shy with the salt!
4. Add vegetable oil to a thick bottomed frying pan and heat until smoking. Make sure you have good ventilation or your kitchen will fill up with smoke.
5. Gently add the steaks and fry on a high heat for 3.5 minutes until a nice brown crust forms (2.5 minutes for tenderloins).
6. Flip the steaks and turn down the heat.
7. Add 2 good sized knobs of butter, 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and 3 cloves of garlic to the pan and fry alongside the steaks. The butter will take on the flavours of the herbs and garlic and flavour the meat.
8. Baste the steaks with the butter using a spoon, continue to baste for around 4 minutes. Be careful not to burn the butter (thats 7 -8 minutes of total cooking time).
9. Rest the steaks on a rack for 5 minutes. Resting allows the meat to relax and stops blood from oozing out onto the plate later.
10. Baste with the remaining butter and juices one last time.
11. Serve with a simple green side salad & chips, sprinkle a little sea salt over the steak just before serving.